There you are in your fancy gown, the love of your life staring lovingly into your eyes. Your closest friends and family there to bear witness to your commitment of life and love. The officiant proclaims "I now pronounce you husband and wife, you may kiss your bride." At last!
Your FIRST KISS marks the beginning of your journey into married life. Brides love to have this iconic moment to share on social media, announcing their marriage officially.
Here is a list of photographer approved tips to help you ROCK your first kiss and get the perfect first kiss photos.
* Make sure your hair is out of your face - nothing ruins a 1st kiss photo like not being able to actually see the kiss! The bride traditionally stands on the left side which means the right side of your face will be to the camera. Be sure to ask your hair stylist to keep any hair that will be down to the left side. If you will be having an outdoor ceremony don't forget the possibility of WIND. I highly encourage my outdoor brides to have their hair styled up or half up.
* Have a 2nd photographer - there are a plethora of reasons having more than one photographer at your wedding is important and your first kiss is one of them. Having a photography team means more angles to choose from. This moment happens so quickly we only get one shot at catching it. Which brings us to the next tip.
* Take it SLOW - take a moment before going in for the kiss... take a breath, move in slowly, and kiss longer than 3 seconds. Not only will this help your photographer get to take a couple more shots but your guests will be taking pictures as well and cell phone camera shutter speeds are much slower. You will get clearer sharper photos if you limit moving in and out quickly! If you aren't comfortable with a long slow kiss with such a large audience, opt for a 2nd kiss or a 3rd. It is your wedding afterall!
* Just the 2 of You - Before the ceremony ask your officiant to move to the side before the kiss. Having them in the photo doesn't always ruin it but many times if they stay behind we end up with unidentified limbs coming out from behind the kissing couple.
*Mind your hands - the most successful 1st kiss photos have the couple with their hands purposefully placed. Hands grabbing the face always looks romantic in the movies but in the real world and for photo purposes they look much better when gently placed on the hips, upper arm, or chest of your significant other. Keeping them away from the face ensures we get a clear shot of that marriage sealing kiss.
I hope this leaves you feeling confident and ready for YOUR 1st kiss. Don't be scared to practice. I'm sure your fiancé wont mind.
Check out more wedding images at the KLP wedding gallery:
If you’re preparing for a photo session with your children, you may be feeling a bit apprehensive. Children aren’t always cooperative when it comes to a photoshoot, which is why the below tips will definitely come in handy before your upcoming sessions.Read More
We live in a digital age, our lives are completely centered around technology, and that has permeated the photography industry. Digital cameras have replaced film; Photoshop and other post processing programs replaced darkrooms. The way we capture and create these portraits has evolved, mostly for the better. The end game is still the same though isn't it? What is the purpose of hiring professionals to capture your memories if you aren't going to display them?Read More
It's Almost Fall Y'all!!! The weather today has been absolutely beautiful and it has me ready for it to stay! This is my favorite season with our quick break from sweltering coastal Texas heat. The leaves start to change color, Pumpkin Spice Latte's return, Football is back, we near sweater/hoodie weather, and of course.... it is Fall Mini Time!!Read More
When I 1st got in contact with Toni & Craig it was only 2 weeks until their Port Aransas destination beach wedding! I just happened to be open that weekend and we were able to quickly get everything set for me to capture their day! Since they were coming down to the Corpus Christi area from Oklahoma we scheduled time to meet up at La Mirage a few days before the ceremony to go over timeline and check out the venue and beach area where they would tie the knot.
The day of the wedding was windy and sunny in Port A (it feels like all days are like that here!). The sun was beating down on these guys but they were such troopers! Some of my favorite photos were of the couple's baby girl! She looked so precious in her flower crown and clearly is SO loved.
Once we had taken photo's of the groom, some family shots, and the wedding party it was time to switch out the groom for the bride! They made sure never see each other before the ceremony. Toni looked absolutely stunning in a form fitting strapless white lace gown. Her hair pulled up into a curled ponytail with a cute incorporated braids was so perfect for this windy beach wedding!
Can we talk about how lucky Craig is to have two such beautiful ladies in his life?!?!
Despite the rental company being late to set up Toni remained calm cool and collected, trusting that the day would go as it should! It was really wonderful to see her so relaxed and just ready to marry her guy! A minor hiccup couldn't bring her down and when everything was set up it was well worth the wait. The mother of the bride and mother of the groom helped walk miss Gwen down an aisle lined with gorgeous flower filled lanterns. Toni's dad gave her away to a grinning Craig. The ceremony was officiated by Craig's brother in law for a personal touch and ended with a perfect kiss! Woohoo!
After the ceremony the sun had finally dipped behind the condos and dunes and everyone could open their eyes again! We took time to take group photos and some of Craig, Toni, and Gwen while the guests headed back inside to get ready for the reception.
We sent the last of the family and guests up to eat so I could take some couples portraits of just the bride and groom! This is always my favorite part of a wedding. Often times it is the 1st and only part of the day that a bride and groom get to spend some time alone to just enjoy each other and take in their new roles as husband and wife!
Sometimes a couple can be a little uncomfortable in front of the camera at first but that was not the case with Craig and Toni! I helped guide the basis of poses and then let them just do their thing. There is no denying the love and connection between the 2 of them which resulted in some pretty magical images!
At the end of the night I stole them away one last time for a creative dark shot on the beach. The wind made it chilly and we couldn't see a thing but the shot was so worth it! It was such a pleasure to capture this day for them. They were a photographer's dream and I am so thankful that they chose me to be a part of it. I know this will be a wedding that I remember forever because of how easy they made my job! I wish them a lifetime of love and happiness and hope to work together again in the future!!
I was so excited when Alec contacted me about capturing the moment he propose to his girlfriend, Kelsey! As a photographer I am all about "MOMENTS", and this is a BIG one! Guys, trust me, hire a photographer to get those photos! (cough cough)
Alec had already been to the aquarium and scouted out the perfect spot. Seas turtles are Kelsey's favorite animal so obviously it had to be Tortuga Cay at Texas State Aquarium in Corpus Christi! We got everything set in stone as far as where he would be, when he would be there, and who to look for and I stood in wait until it was time!
As I saw them coming down the stairs toward the turtles my heart raced with excitement and I had to remind myself to "act natural". They passed by me without a second glance (nailed it) and I was able to capture him getting down on one knee and her obvious "YES" and happy tears! Awww, it makes me smile just thinking of it!
After giving them some time to just enjoy the moment and make all those important phone calls to family we met back up and took off to get some fun posed shots around the aquarium. Kelsey was such a great sport and let me take her brand new beautiful diamond ring and stick it in the touch tank with the starfish!! How epic of a shot is this?! I wish I had a picture of my ring on a cool sea creature!
Alec and Kelsey are both in the Navy so of course we had to get some shots with the USS Lexington in the background. Taking their photos on this important and memorable day was such a pleasure and honor. They are truly some of the sweetest people and so blessed to have found each other. I wish them all the happiness in the world and hope to work with them again in the future!!
Do you have a fun proposal story? I'd love to hear yours, share in the comments section!!
I recently had the pleasure of working with the Alaniz family for some family portraits! This was pretty special because they were a referral, of a referral, of a referral, of a referral! WHAT?! Seriously, it means the world to have people that I have worked with enjoy their session and photos so much that they send other people they know to me!
As soon as they hopped out of the car I noticed this family is a great example of coordinating without "matching"! Gone are the days of family portraits where everyone has jeans or khakis and the same white polo shirt.
When Planning for your family session there are a few key points to keep in mind that will keep you and your crew looking and feeling your best!!
- DO pick a color palette - Ideally 3 or 4 colors that coordinate - think neutrals tans and creams for a dreamy look - or- black with some white and one or 2 fun colors for a bold look.
- DON'T be afraid of bold colors - choosing one bold color for one or two family members with small pops of that color in others accessories adds fun drama.
- DO go for various textures - a furry vest, lace dress, leather belt or ribbed sweater will photograph beautifully and add some dimension and interest to your photos.
- DON'T try to think of everyone's outfit at once - Pick 1 person/outfit that speaks to you and build from there. Usually mom or a young girl's outfit is easiest. Pick colors from that outfit to dress everyone else!
- DO Accessorize!! - A fun hat, soft flowy scarf, or statement jewelry adds visual interest. Guys can go for a tie or leather jacket. Not only do they look great but they can be fun to play with during the session for some more unique posing and images.
- DON'T go pattern crazy - while patterns are fun and interesting not everyone should wear a pattern. Choose One and then coordinate by using the colors within the pattern.
- DO think CLASSIC - the idea is for these photos to be displayed in your home and passed down for generations. Choose colors that will coordinate with your home décor and will also stand the test of time.
Hopefully these tips will have you feeling calm, cool, and confident for your upcoming family session! If you still aren't sure where to start check out Pinterest by searching "family photo styling" - OR ask your photographer for help!
Beginnings are usually scary, endings are usually sad, but it's the middle that counts. You have to remember this when you find yourself at a beginning. Hope Floats taught us all this important bit of advice. I reflect on these words as I find myself at what I feel is the true beginning of my photography journey.
In the new year there will be a lot of changes coming for Kirby LeAnne Photography and while they are a little bit scary for me (mostly in the form of legalities and mounds of contracts and preparation) I am so excited for what this means for my clients!!
I am going to be starting the new year as a FULL SERVICE photographer...
And I know you are going to love it!
I will no longer be taking your images, spending hours fine tuning them to look their very best and handing them over for you to figure out the rest.
Instead, you will receive a complementary pre session consultation where we will discuss your vision, and all the details of your photo session! I will get to know you and the subjects of these photos so that I can capture the UNIQUE you.
On the day of your session, you won't stand there and 'say cheese'... we will have fun. You will snuggle up with your loved ones, or celebrate a new event in your life, tell silly jokes. And this will make your photo's amazing. YOU. The REAL you doing what you love with the ones you love!
After our session, I will hand edit and choose a set of images that are THE VERY BEST and you will get to have a reveal appointment! You will see your images for the 1st time and I will be there to help you choose and design products that fit your needs, you will purchase as little or as much as you want. Products will be designed and ordered from the BEST Professional labs that work exclusively with photographer's and use the highest quality materials. So not only will the products you receive look better than ever before, they will last for years to come (think passing them down to your grandkids and great grandkids!)
Imagine walking into your home at the end of the day and seeing a gorgeous canvas hanging on the wall with an image of your family. Imagine sitting down with guests and flipping through your professionally designed album from your wedding day or photo's of your new baby!
We spend money on the newest technology, biggest tv, fanciest cars... but if you ask anyone what the most important thing in the world to them is... most will say their family... their children!
When you hire a photographer you are investing in your family. These years are flying by and the memories you keep from now deserve better quality than a Facebook upload or drug store print.
It is my commitment to my clients to give these moments you allow me to capture my very best care from start to finish!
I know you will LOVE these new changes and I am so looking forward to my "middle" in this journey.
-- Kirby LeAnne Photography --